Stuarts Draft, Virginia
The "HUB" of Augusta County
Located in the Beautiful
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Stuarts Draft Railway Station
Records of the Norfolk and Western Railway Co. indicate that on March 20, 1882 the Shenandoah Valley Railroad acquired approximately 2.5 acres of land from Mr. & Mrs. James T. Black, with the understanding that the railroad would construct a station building at this location. The one story frame structure was finished in 1891, and included at that time a mail crane, coal house and cattle pens. It was about this time that the Shenandoah Valley Railroad became part of the Norfolk and Western. Minor changes were made over the years with the installation of lighting in April 1926. The cattle pens were retired fro use in August of 1959 and the mail crane in December 1967.
Photo taken from Mill looking over Depot and 608 (formally Main St.and now Draft Ave.)
This page was last updated: February 6, 2017